Posted: April 28 2020
Results from Samples Checked by Toronto’s Drug Checking Service: April 11 – 24, 2020
Toronto’s drug checking service offers people who use drugs timely and comprehensive information on the composition of their drugs using the most sophisticated lab-based technologies. Sign up to receive combined data from samples checked every other week.
Checked Samples by Sample Type
Between April 11 and 24, 2020, 21 samples were checked: 48% (10) were substances and 52% (11) were post-use paraphernalia.
Checked Samples by Expected Drug
When a client submits a sample to be checked, they indicate which drug they expect that sample to contain. Of the 21 samples checked between April 11 and 24, 2020:
- 9 were expected to be fentanyl
- 3 were expected to be cocaine
- 2 were expected to be benzodiazepines, including: alprazolam (Xanax) and etizolam
- 5 were expected to be other drugs, including: clomiphene citrate, heroin, methamphetamine, phenidate, and tamoxifen citrate
- 2 did not have a stated expected drug
Expected Fentanyl Samples
Of the 21 samples checked between April 11 and 24, 2020, 43% (9) were expected to be fentanyl (11% were substances and 89% were post-use paraphernalia).
Presence of fentanyl in expected fentanyl samples (9)
- 11% (1) contained no fentanyl
- 89% (8) contained fentanyl and other drugs
Expected fentanyl samples containing fentanyl and other drugs (8)
Of the 9 samples expected to be fentanyl, 89% (8) contained fentanyl and other drugs. Other drugs found included:
- 88% (7) of expected fentanyl samples contained caffeine
- 50% (4) of expected fentanyl samples contained despropionyl fentanyl (4-ANPP)*
- 50% (4) of expected fentanyl samples contained heroin
- 38% (3) of expected fentanyl samples contained 6-MAM (heroin-related)
- 38% (3) of expected fentanyl samples contained one or more benzodiazepine or benzodiazepine-related drug*
- 38% (3) of expected fentanyl samples contained etizolam*
- 13% (1) of expected fentanyl samples contained flualprazolam*
- 13% (1) of expected fentanyl samples contained phenacetin*
Other Expected Drug Samples Containing Unexpected Noteworthy Drugs
Of the remaining 12 samples checked between April 11 – 24, 2020, meaning samples that were not expected to be fentanyl, 8% (1) contained one or more unexpected noteworthy drug. Unexpected noteworthy drugs found included:
- 100% (1) of phenidate samples contained 4-fluoro MDMB-BUTINACA* (synthetic cannabinoid-related drug)
*Unexpected noteworthy drug: “Noteworthy drugs” are drugs that are highly potent, linked to overdose or other adverse effects, or may not be desired by some clients. Noteworthy drugs are called out when they are unexpectedly found in checked samples.